ConceptArtist,Riesun_리에순 Class Description
Concept Artist, Riesun
Do you rely on copying other artwork
when you paint character costumes and weapons,
or do you feel frustrated
when you have to create original design elements?
To become a concept artist
that is respected in the industry,
you must know how to identify popular trends
that the user base will enjoy
based on the game's story and settings,
and how to express it
in the character's design.
From finding inspiration from design resources
to understanding how character designs can be trendy,
and how to make various character designs
and concept arts that fit the theme of the character,
learn from Concept Artist Riesun,
an artist who proved her proficiency in designing character costumes
as she created character concept art for <Seven Knights>, <Gran Saga>,
and other famous games for over 9 years
and master the practical design process used in the industry.
Length: 21 videos
(Duration 18h 03m)
Adobe Photoshop 2022
[Available Software Version]
Adobe Photoshop CS6 - Adobe Photoshop 2022
- Design Reference Document
- Lecture Presentation File
- Character Body Drawing Sketch
- Character Design Draft File
- Weapon Design Draft File
Expert Concept Artist
Riesun's Profile & Portfolio
I am Concept Artist Riesun.
For over 9 years,
I made most 2D graphics artwork
required in video games,
such as character concept art designs,
weapon, armor, costume designs,
character art, and poster game CIs.
In this class, I'll be teaching useful tips
on how to make costume and weapon designs,
two of the most difficult design elements
that concept artists find to create.
I hope you can broaden your understanding of designs
and efficiently develop your portfolio
after taking this online class.
6 Class Exercises
Character Design Key Theory
Beautiful and Balanced Designs
Setting Design Standards
Designs Reflecting the Current Trend
Understanding Design Patterns
Part 01. 3 Character Designs
Swordsman DesignHealer DesignDamage Dealer Design
Part 02. 3 Weapon & Emblem Designs
Greatsword & Emblem Design
Wand & Emblem Design
Spear & Emblem Design
*These are sample images for better understanding.
If this applies to you, then take this class!
Learn How to Design Characters
Through Creative Ideation
Concept artist Riesun participated in numerous concept art projects for famous video games, and master her practical character design project to make industry-ready character sheets.
Understanding What Good Designs are And Applying it
To Your Artwork
Do you want to make stylish designs that adapt to the quickly changing trends? Learn how to establish design standards and also how to make competitive high-quality character designs.
Review What You Learned In the Industry Way, Efficient Class Materials Provided
This is your chance to focus solely on costume and weapon designs! Lessen the burden of drawing characters every time with our character body drawing sketch file and improve your character designing capability.
Design Fundamentals for
Character DesignsLearn the basics of character designs and dissect design elements from references to establish the direction of your character design.
Setting Character Themes to Establish Design StandardsUsing the practical concept art process, set the theme of the character design that will be appealing to the public and draw a simple body and pose.
Determine Weapon Design Style & Applying Emblems and PatternsDetermine the right weapon style that suits the character and apply symbolic emblems and patterns based on crucial weapon design elements.
Practical Process 1
- Character Class and CostumeTo effectively deliver a balanced and expressive design, we will create 3 character designs with the following concepts; Swordsman, Healer, Damage Dealer.
Practical Process 2
- Symbolic Emblem and WeaponWe will study how to use emblems to create symbolic design elements and design a greatsword for the swordsman, a wand for the healer, and a spear for the damage dealer.
Industry Character Design Tips & Essentials for a Concept ArtistNot only will you learn how to express your design sense in your portfolio, but you'll also contemplate about what assets you must acquire in the highly competitive character design industry and how to position yourself.
*These are sample images for better understanding.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Basic Warm-up for Designing
- Instructor Introduction
- Class Objective : Studying the Principles and Training Design Sense
- What is Character Design?
- Key Principle : Understanding How to Use References
02. Design Principles for ‘Character Design’ 1
- Design Principles You Must Study and Memorize
03. Design Principles for ‘Character Design’ 2
- The Three Powers You Need
- Design Power and Creative Power
04. Understanding Trends and The Juicer Theory
- Definition of Concept in Concept Art
- Understanding Trends
- Where to Find References and How to Use It
SECTION 02. Preparations for the Practical Process
05. Understanding the Character Design Workflow
- Understanding the Practical Process for Making 3D Projects
- Establishing a Character Setting
- The Right Tone and Manner For Your Character Settings
06. Understanding Weapon Designs
- Key Theory For Making Weapon Designs
- Types of Weapons for Each Character
- Size Proportions of Different Sword Types
07. Using References
- Size Proportions of Wands and Spears
- The Standard for Good References and How to Find Them
- Gathering and Organizing References
- Gathering References as a Daily Basis
SECTION 03. Practical Process for Designing Characters Costumes
08. Design Demonstration : Swordsman 1
- Using PureRef
- How to Use Hair and Costume Design References
- How to Use Armor Design References
09. Design Demonstration : Swordsman 2
- How to Use Shoe Design References
- Examples of Color Combinations That Use Personal Colors
- Designing Patterns and Accessories with References
10. Design Demonstration : Swordsman 3
- Refining and Finishing the Design
11. Design Demonstration : Swordsman 4
- Developing Details to Adjust Values
- Defining the Tone and Manner to Denote the Atmosphere
12. Design Demonstration : Healer 1
- Hair and Costume Design
- Cleaning Up the Sketch and Assigning Colors
13. Design Demonstration : Healer 2
- Using Accessory References to Build Up Details
14. Design Demonstration : Damage Dealer 1
- Strengthening the Healer Design_Improving Designs by Stacking It Up
- Sketching the Damage Dealer Design by Combining Images Created through Juicing References
15. Design Demonstration : Damage Dealer 2
- Assigning Colors Based on the Overall Tone
- Using Accessory References to Build Up Details
SECTION 04. Practical Process for Designing Symbolic Emblems and Weapons
16. Emblem and Pattern Design
- Designing Symbolic Patterns and Emblems that Match Your Character Design
17. Weapon Design Demonstration_Greatsword
- Designing a Weapon for the Swordsman Character
18. Weapon Design Demonstration_Wand
- Designing a Weapon for the Healer Character
19. Weapon Design Demonstration_Spear
- Designing a Weapon for the Damage Dealer Character
20. Ending The Class : Wrapping Up
- Freelance Concept Artist
- Designers, Illustrators, and Concept Artists
- The Right Mindset to Keep in Touch with Trends
- Portfolio Building TIP
21. BONUS : Useful Character Drawing Tips
- Drawing TIP1 : Using Daz Studio to Make Simple Poses and Turn the Camera Angle
- Drawing TIP2 : Importing It to Blender and Setting up the Lighting
with Concept Artist Riesun
What is your goal for this class?
I want to share to you the techniques I developed to come up with and apply design elements using references that aren't from the game based on my experience in the industry. Instead of creating new things out of nothing, I'll show you we use pre-existing references to make even better design elements for character designs with a commercial-artistic approach, and I will use it to guide you on how to quickly improve your painting skills.
How does this class stand out from others?
I made numerous character concept art for 9 years, and I believe that I have a strong advantage in identifying popular trends that the users will like and applying them as design elements in characters. Through this class, I'll share you my personal tips on maintaining a sharp design sense and reacting to the quickly changing trends.
What can the students take from
I'm going to suggest a systematic approach to character designs for students who reached a high level of painting and composing but find it hard to establish design standards. By giving answers to students who couldn't tell what designs and references are good, I'll help them create highly competitive character designs that stand out among others.
This course will use Adobe Photoshop 2022.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the course.
*You can take this class using other programs aside from the programs mentioned above.
*Available Software Version : Adobe photoshop CS6 - Adobe Photoshop 2022
Like this class?
Then check these out!
This course will open on January 17, 2023 (PST)
*The duration of the class discount may change without prior notice.
*Please ensure to fill in your email address correctly, as the payment and class information will be sent to the registered email address.
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (firstname.lastname@example.org) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: email@example.com