Concept Artist, Soyoong Class Description
Are you having a hard time
searching for ways to go beyond
an 'illustrator' and become a 'concept artist?'
You can learn how to express character themes,
how to make character drafts and sheets,
how to build portfolios, and more!
For everyone studying on their own,
we prepared concept artist Soyoong's
an active videogame illustrator
and an instructor at PROPIC ACADEMY.
Artist Soyoong possesses both
artistic and instructional talent,
and from this class,
you can learn the fundamentals
solely focused on the field of concept art,
and also useful techniques
for making character designs,
roughs, illustrations, and even portfolios.
And based on the instructor's experience
working in the field and teaching students,
there are also tips on studying alone
and developing the right mindset!!
From devising concepts
and mastering art techniques,
do you want to become
one of the best concept artists?
Then check this active artist's
videogame concept artist curriculum
right now at Coloso.
Length: 20 videos
(Duration 14h 34m)
- Photoshop CC English Version
* You can also use any version of Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint
More than 6 Class Materials
- Original PSD Files with Layer Information
- Study Materials
- PSD Files of the Final Illustrations
- Concept Proposal
- Metaperception Questionnaire
Soyoong's Profile & Portfolio
Hello, I am concept artist Soyoong.
I've built a career as a character concept artist
in a videogame company,
and I am now working as
a freelance concept artist
that streams, makes outsourced artwork,
and teach as an instructor
at PROPIC ACADEMY.
'Videogame Concept Artist'
It's a profession everybody would
once dream of if they like
playing games and drawing,
but it's so hard to get information
on how to actually join the industry.
I'll help you find the right way
to make attractive character designs,
and how to clearly express
the visual themes in your artwork.
Instructor at PROPIC ACADEMY
Freelance Concept Artist
Projects & Awards
2017 - 2019 netmarble Monster [Knights Chronicle]
2017 LINE Plus
[Participated Projects (Outsource)]
2021 Cydonia [Ash Arms Character Design, Character Art]
2021 TourDog Studio [Alchemy Stars Promotion Art]
2020 netmarble Nexus [Seven Knights Character Art]
2019 YOSTAR [Arknights Promotion Art]
2016 ATEAM [Three Kingdoms Smash!], ZEONIX [Fantasy Masters II]
15 Class Exercises
Step 01. Character Design Theory
Consider the Viewer
Selecting the Visual Theme
Step 02. Creating & Refining Character
Refining the Rough
Complete the Character Design
Step 03. Making a Character Sheet
Character Sheet Process
Character Sheet Elements
Cautions in Making Character Sheets
Step 04. Painting a Character Illustration
Drafting & Constructing
Boosting the Quality
Step 05. How to Study Painting on Your Own
Consider the Viewer
Consider the Viewer
Consider the Viewer
Character Designs Emphasizing the Theme Effectively and Attractively
To effectively convey the theme, we'll learn how to use silhouettes, color contrast, and changing key points, and we'll immediately apply what we learned to have an easier and more entertaining approach to character designs.
How to Create Characters Sheet and Illustrations Portfolios
Revealing the practical know-how to portfolios only recognized by professionals! From the Why's to the How's, learn the techniques every professional artist should use to build solid portfolios.
Mental Control & Self-Study Methods to Survive as a Professional
Learn how to overcome the negative emotional states we easily encounter as we draw, such as burnout, slumps, fatigue, and jealousy. Master the right mindset to discipline yourself, study on your own, and become a professional artist.
The Basics of
Professional Character Concept ArtWe'll first cover fundamental questions that are hard to figure out alone, like why we need orthographic drawings and the difference between videogame concept art and illustrations to build the foundation as a concept artist.
How to Choose the Character’s
Visual Theme and Key PointsStudy how to effectively convey the theme by using visual themes, thinking in the viewer's perspective, silhouettes, colors and contrast, analyzing the needs and target audience, and more.
Design Tips to Greatly Improve Quality with Small CorrectionsDiscover ways to improve the quality of your art by paying attention to the small things like refining roughs and adding details.
The Key Components
That Must be in PortfoliosAs you find the answers to puzzling design factors, such as how many character sheets you should make and how you should compose portfolios to better show your expertise, you'll build a unique portfolio that is significantly appealing to companies.
How to Make Characters Stand Out
in Your IllustrationsAfter understanding how illustrations are different from concept art, what their strengths are, the different types of illustrations, and the pros and cons each illustration type has, you'll determine and apply the right expression method for your characters.
The Right Mindset to Survive as a Professional and Helpful Self-Study TipsLearn the required study method to become a professional artist, the right mindset to maintain a positive mental health, and other in-the-field techniques that will help you survive as a concept artist.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Orientation
01. Instructor Introduction & Orientation
- Instructor Introduction
- Why It's Important to Set Goals
- So, What is Our Goal?
SECTION 02. Before Making Character Designs
02. What is Concept Art?
- What is Concept Art?
- The Objectives of Concept Art
- How it's Different from Illustrations
03. Things You Should Consider for Designs 01
- Considering the Viewers
- Selecting the Visual Theme
- Why are Silhouettes Important?
04. Things You Should Consider for Designs 02
- Making Design Points
- Color Scheme Based on Intention
- Stylizing Based on Needs
05. Applying What We Learned to Paintings 01
- Silhouette & Stylization -1-
- Wait! The Strength and Flow of Designs
- Silhouette & Stylization -2-
06. Applying What We Learned to Paintings 02
- Express the Theme and Make Design Points
- Refining the Color Scheme
SECTION 03. Creating a Character Rough
07. Making a Character Rough and Various Drafts
- Why Do We Have to Make Multiple Drafts?
- How Nice should Roughs Look?
- How to Pick Effective Drafts
08. Design Variation and Stylizing
- What is Variation?
- What is Stylizing?
- Analyzing References and Applying Them to Designs
08-2. BONUS: Refining Character Designs
- Making Character Drafts
- Refining & Finalizing the Character Design
SECTION 04. Making a Character Sheet
09. Character Sheet Production Process
- It’s Easy to Make Character Sheets!
- What Do We Need in Character Sheets?
- Frequently Asked Questions
SECTION 05. Painting a Character Illustration
10. Why We Make Character Illustrations
- Why We Make Character Illustrations
- Types and Effects of Illustrations
11. Making a Rough for an Illustration
- What is a Rough?
- What is Beauty?
- How to Infuse Beauty into Your Artwork
12. Selecting the Final Draft and Building Up the Design
- Select More-Effective Drafts
- Why We Need to Use References
- Use Simple Shapes to Check the Structure
- Find Optimal Forms and Lines
- Set the Lighting
13. How to Improve the Quality of the Illustration
- Adding, Removing, Adding, and Removing
- Find Key Points!
- Further Define Planes!
- Add More Light!
- Add Textures!
- Draw More Elements!
- Use Dots, Lines, and Planes!
14. Adding the Finishing Touches to the Illustration
- For a Better Painting, When Should We Stop?
- Check It Objectively at a Distance
- Less is More!
15. Making a VTuber
- What are VTubers?
- 2D LIVE CUBISM
- Pricing VTuber Model Art
SECTION 06. How to Study on Your Own
16. How to Study on Your Own 01
- Should We Always Have Fun Drawing?
- Why You Should 'Finish' Your Artwork
- Gesture Drawing! Don’t Do It Mindlessly
17. How to Study on Your Own 02
- Light! Don't Try To Perfectly Understand It
- Design Study
- Analyze the Basic Shapes in our Body
- Practice Brushstrokes and Textures
- Draw the Face at Every Angle
18. Bonus: Frequently Asked Questions 01
- Where Can We Get Ideas?
- Do I Have to Go to an Art School? When You’re at Critical Decision Points
- How Many Paintings Should I Include in a Portfolio, and What Kind of Paintings Should They Be?
- How Can I Get Outsourcing Projects? (How To Write Formal Email, How to Identify Scams)
19. Bonus: Frequently Asked Questions 02
- Burnout and Fatigue. Slump
- The Difference between Concept Artists and Illustrators, In-House and Freelance Artists
- Should I do Social Media?
- Separate What You Want and What You Must
20. Wrapping-up: What Kind of Artist Should We Become?
- Metaperception Questionnaire
- Painting Is Like a Marathon
with Concept Artist Soyoong
Why did you center this class around 'videogame concept art?'
As I also went through being an aspiring artist and working as a character concept artist, I deeply acknowledge the lack of information about concept artists and character designs. Even after so much time has passed, nothing has changed. I wanted to share the knowledge I built up so far to help others have an easier time studying character design. From the basics of character design to who our target audience is and what we should show, I covered various useful topics. To better solidify your goal as a 'concept artist,' I designed this class to develop your skills one step at a time.
What makes your class stand out
It's the fact that I'm teaching everything I learned for the past 7 years as I worked as a concept artist so that you have an easier and more entertaining approach to the difficult field of character design. This class doesn't just act as a guide from a professional artist's perspective, but also teaches my unique study method I perfected through numerous 'trials and errors' and the right mindset to continue your career as a professional artist.
Do you have anything you would like
to say to your students?
Since the field of 'concept art' is so broad and there isn't a right answer, the level of improvement will greatly differ based on what your goal is. Instead of just thinking 'I want to draw better,' you should think 'I want to draw better "this way"' to have greater improvements. This class will make your vague goals more concrete, and it will guide you on what you should paint to achieve those goals. If you felt character designs are so frustrating and portfolios are so puzzling, you'll have more fun and ease in making them with this class.
This course will use Adobe Photoshop CC. Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the course.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
This course will open on December 27, 2022 (PST)
*The duration of the class discount may change without prior notice.
*Please ensure to fill in your email address correctly, as the payment and class information will be sent to the registered email address.
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (email@example.com) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: email@example.com
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org