Concept Artist, OKKU Class Description
Concept Artist, OKKU
How to Create
Trendy Character Art
From a Popular Concept Artist
If you want to draw a character
that attracts attention from a wide audience,
that character requires a solid "concept."
Designing a character without that understanding
will result in artwork which incorporates
From art fundamentals essential for character
design to planning concepts and settings,
design elements for trendy characters,
and the instructor's unique method of
coloring sophisticated and delicate details!
Length: 21 videos
Adobe Photoshop CC
1 Class exercise
11 JPG files
8 PSD files
Character Concept Artist
Hello, I'm Concept Artist OKKU (Ryunkyeong Oh).
Over the years, I have participated in various videogame projects
and worked on various character art and illustrations
across stylized, Japanese-style, and semi-realistic art styles.
I'm sure we all have a hard time deciding
what to draw, and how to draw it
when we design a character.
Throughout this class,
you will learn how to plan a character's concept,
the overall design process,
and the drawing and coloring techniques
needed for your design. And as you draw
a "fully completed illustration of your character"
in the last section, you will learn advanced techniques
such as lighting and composition.
I prepared this class for people
who never made character art or illustrations
and aspiring artists who are having
a hard time making a portfolio.
You can immediately implement
the fundamentals taught in this class
to create original artwork, so I hope
I can help as many students as possible.
Projects & Awards
2018-2020 Smilegate "Lost Ark"
2015-2018 Frontline Manager of Netmarble Nexus "Seven Knights"
Tencent (CrossFire Mobile)
Netease (Eternal City)
NPIXEL (Gran Saga)
Yostar (Azur Lane)
Vespa (Time Defenders)
Nimble Neuron (Black Survival)
Ateam (Three Kingdoms Smash)
Netmarble (Seven Knights)
Kingsoft (Seasun) and others
Reviews and Portfolios
of Actual Students
A Step-by-Step Guide
To Creating Trendy,
Eye-Catching Character Art
Part 1. Essential Art Fundamentals for Character Design
Understand the basic theories you need to know before creating characters
and the characteristics of each genre such as realism, semi-realism, moe style, stylized, and chibi art style.
Simplifying the Human Body
Perspective and Angle
Drawing the Human Body in Different Art Styles
Different Degrees of Stylized Faces
Part 2. Character Design
Complete a stylish character art in the order of
concept planning, drawing, lighting, colors, outfits, accessories, and textures.
How the Character's Concept Affect the Coloring
Drawing Techniques for Widely Used Materials
Final Character Art
Part 3. Creating Awakened Form Illustrations
Add effects and details to the character that fits the concept
to create high-quality illustrations
Adding Effects Based on Concept
Layer Techniques and Post-Processing
Finishing the Illustration
*Shown Images are examples to give a better understanding of this class.
Get the A to Zs of Industry-Level Character Design
From "finding references" to "completing a character design" that stands out, experience the basics of character design. Along with industry-ready reference images provided by the instructor, you will learn OKKU's unique tips for gathering references and how to identify trends that appeal to the public and apply them to your character design. In addition, you can create your own character by devising a character concept and settings using a sample character design sheet.
Learn the Step-by-Step Process Behind Game Character Art
Master the workflow of OKKU, a concept artist with a 10 year career who has worked on "Seven Knights," "Azur Lane," and many other popular games. You can learn to work step by step through the process of concept planning, making a draft, designing concept art, and bringing your designs to life with detailed explanations. You will also see the entire process of how concept art and character art get created in the industry from the beginning to the end.
Highlight a Character's Concept With Drawing & Color Choices
Express the characters that you've only imagined in detail and bring them into reality. We'll teach you how to express your design into illustrations, how to apply figure drawing to line art, stylized lighting, and coloring, and immediately start a hands-on exercise and complete a stylish character concept art and illustration.
Concept Planning Through Proper Reference AnalysisYou will learn the techniques of selecting and combining good elements while excluding bad elements through reference analysis rather than blindly collecting references and how to plan character concepts based on the collected references.
Different Degrees of
Stylized Art StylesYou will understand different proportions of the human face and body stylization in realism/semi-realism/moe style/stylized/chibi art styles, and learn how "facial" proportions, angles, and expressions change depending on the art genre.
Line Art Techniques to Emphasize CharacteristicsLearn the most basic pose drawing methods to effectively reveal the planned concept and how to design metallic weapons and outfits by shaping large silhouettes and adding detailed patterns.
Colors and Textures that Reveal the Character ConceptYou will learn how to use colors according to the character's mood like darkness, goddess, noble and warm, and how to express materials that are often used in drawings to depict folds and outfit textures.
Planning an Illustration that Maximizes the Character's CharmsBased on advanced perspective views that draw attention and the understanding of composition, you will devise an illustration based on the character concept art and utilize lighting, layer, and brush techniques to boost the illustration's quality.
Preparing a Portfolio
that Suits Your NeedsUnderstand the differences between two dream jobs commonly sought after by aspiring artists, "illustrators" and "character artists," and learn how to prepare for each career path, create a portfolio, and how to make popular drawings.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. How to Get The Most Out of The Class
01. Points to Focus on To Get The Most Out of The Class
- Overview of Curriculum and Key Goals
- Setting up Photoshop for The Class
02. What is a Commercial Illustrator?
- What is The Difference Between a Concept Artist and an Illustrator?
SECTION 02. The First Step for Trendy Characters: Planning a Character Concept
03. How to Start Character Concept Design
- How do we build up a story and character settings?
- The A to Z of finding inspiration and planning a character concept
04. Gather and Analyze References to Boost Trendiness
- Finding diverse and trendy references
- Planning characters based on the plan
* You will be provided a sample character design sheet
05. Basics of Simplifying the Human Body and Perspective
- Simple understanding of the shape of the human body
- Applying perspective and angles for drawing
06. Understanding the Different Degrees and Application of Stylization
- Learn the differences between chibi style, Japanese style, and semi-realism
- Analyzing and applying stylization to develop a unique art style
- Various angles and expressions of stylized faces
* You will be provided a JPG image exercise
07. Designing Your Own Trendy and Memorable Character
- How to use references to design trendy characters
- How to make a character draft based on a large silhouette
- Using lines or mass to form shapes
* You will be provided a link to the instructor's Pinterest reference collection
SECTION 03. Planning the Design Based on Character Concepts
08. Drawing the Pose that Fits the Concept
- Understand the flow of the human body for attractive gestures
09. Weapon Design to Make Your Character Stand Out
- Design eye-catching patterns and stylized metal accessories
- Applying the design to weapons
* You will be provided the related PSD resources
10. Smoothing Out the Design
- Smoothing out and editing the character art
- Developing and finalizing the design
- Designing the backside
11. Basics and Practical Application of Light and Color
- Understanding the color of light
- Understanding light scattering and perspective
- Understanding diffuse reflections and specular reflections
12. How Lighting Affects the Mood of the Character
- Understanding the light and shadow based on the position of the light source
- Learning commonly used lighting directions
13. Depicting Various Textures that Bring Out the Character
- Expressing commonly used materials such as metal, jewelry, cloth, leather, fur, etc.
- Understanding the folds and frills of clothes
- Depicting the texture to make the outfit stand out!
- Depicting the decoration with an embossing effect
14. Coloring Based on the Character Concept
- Coloring the character to fit the concept
- Stylish coloring method to match the character
- Use layer effect techniques for quick coloring
15. Post-Processing and Finishing the Character Art
- Knowing where you should and shouldn't emphasize
SECTION 04. Creating an Awakened Form Illustration to Show the Character's Hidden Charm
16. Planning an Illustration that will Make Your Character Stand Out 1
- Learn more about 1-5 point perspectives and angles
- Planning charming poses and perspectives of the character
- Adding effects to decorate your character
17. Planning an Illustration that will Make Your Character Stand Out 2
- Forming shapes with lines and mass
- Smoothing outlines
18. Light and Colors for Eye-Catching Illustrations
- Intensity of light at different angles
- Light source and stylized light settings based on the concept
- Coloring methods suitable to the drawing style
19. Drawing and Finishing the Illustration 1
- Drawing systematically and improving the overall quality
- Boosting the details
- Smoothing out the effects
20. Drawing and Finishing the Illustration 2
- Layer techniques and post-processing tips
- Adding texture and finishing touches with a mixer brush
SECTION 05. Finishing Words : Sharing My Experiences as a Concept Artist
21. For All Students Who Want to Discover their Unique Art Style
- What is a good art style?
- How to get prepared for the industry and how to create a portfolio
- Advice to aspiring artists
with Concept Artist OKKU
Why Should We Learn How to Design Character Concept Art?
Without an understanding of character concepts and simply focusing on pretty and cool character drawing, you'll make an artwork that's obsessed with meaningless details. On the other hand, if you work with all the elements that express the concept, you can create an appealing and impressive character. Moreover, the importance of character concepts and job opportunities has expanded as many foreign videogames that emphasize unique characteristics have been introduced in our country.
Do You Have Any Tips or Insights on Finding Your Own Trendy Elements?
Encountering and analyzing many works is the basics of gaining insight, and collecting references is important for trendy character designs. Analyze the trend, but do not follow it as it is. Take only the good elements and exclude those that are not. In this class, I will share references I collected from 'Pinterest', and I hope you can learn how to collect and use references the right way.
What Unique Traits and Efforts Are Needed to Become a Videogame Artist or Illustrator?
Working in a videogame company or as a freelance illustrator may have different requirements. But in the end, they both draw images that attract public attention, so you have to be able to draw unique illustrations that can stand out among many drawings. You should build basic drawing skills and use them as a cornerstone to find designs that fit your needs, and you must constantly study what the current trend is in the illustration industry.
This course will be conducted with Adobe Photoshop CC,
so please purchase and install the latest version
of the program on your own for better learning.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
- It is recommended to use versions higher than Adobe Photoshop CC.
- Versions below Adobe Photoshop CC may not support the 'Paint Symmetry feature(brush feature that allows to paint symmetrical strokes)', but you can still follow the class.
- If you are using Clip Studio Paint, you will not have the 'Layer Style feature', but you can still follow the class.
- If you are using Procreate, you may find difficulties in following detailed drawing instructions.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (firstname.lastname@example.org) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: email@example.com