Illustrator, Sungmoo Heo Class Description
Illustrator, Sungmoo Heo
Still unable to grasp how to draw the human body?
The more of a beginner you are,
the more you require a systematic curriculum that
points out only the practical core knowledge.
Sounds intimidating? Don't worry.
I will be your personal guide to drawing
the human body for natural expressions and poses.
Starting with human anatomy,
we will be composing a stylish character
with the basic theory of angles and clothes.
Length: 28 videos
Clip Studio Paint
7 Sample files
Sungmoo Heo’s Profile & Portfolio
Hello, this is Illustrator Sungmoo Heo.
I have been active as an artwork creator on social media
as well as an instructor with years of
experience at ‘Arteum Academy’,
which specializes in Game Concept Art.
My main goal in the drawing is to constantly
challenge myself, learn, and improve in other styles of artwork
whilst focusing on exploring illustration with
line art and character-based drawings.
I decided to launch online lectures to share
the expertise I have gained through
my experiences of being a freelancer and off-line instructor,
and to support the common concerns of students.
From the worries, being impatient,
and the limitations of drawing alone to
managing emotions and mindsets,
I hope we can solve them together through my lectures.
Freelance Illustrator & Instructor at Arteum Academy
Projects & Awards
Writer of “Girls Drawing”, a book dedicated to creating character illustrations
Artist of Kakaopage Webtoon “The Live”
Cover illustrator of a Web novel, “Legend of Cryptids”
12 Class Exercises
Usage of Lines
Understanding of Proportions
Face Expression by Angle
Attractive Face (Visage)
Practical Art Anatomy
Body Shape Language
Principle of Poses
Characters from Various Angles
Natural Folds in Clothes
* This image is an example image for better understanding.
How to Express
the Human Body in Detail
Based on the characteristics of each part of the human body, such as the eyes, mouth, neck, shoulders, hands, legs, and shoes, and my tips in body figure drawing, I will demonstrate how to express the human body from various angles in detail.
It’s Not Challenging
to Draw Dynamic Poses
Improve your drawing skills to draw the poses you want! You can learn the basics of poses, as well as learn how to direct various poses through demonstrations by our staff.
Complete Stylish and Trendy
Based on the theory you learned earlier, complete two types of male and female characters through step-by-step processes such as concept design, thumbnail, and refinement.
The Three-Dimensional Effect That Breathes Life into a DrawingLearn the importance and reason why three-dimensional expression is challenging, and study the principle and application of three-dimensional effect through shortening / interpreting / observation training to improve the three-dimensional effect.
Correct Use of LinesLearn how to differentiate between a good and a bad line, and improve your stroke skills by understanding and using a wide range of lines, such as how to handle lines according to the change of the hand axis.
Eye-Catching Character StylingWe can grasp attractive face angles and eye-catching styles through analysis of various characters in popular animations.
Shape Language and DeformationYou can learn about various body types, such as skinny / muscular / muscular yet fleshy body types, based on the foundational skills of designing characters utilizing the three key components: the skeleton, muscle, and flesh.
Fundamentals of Pose and Analysis of Various PosesYou can learn approaches to complex poses such as sitting poses, running poses, and weapon-wielding poses through the theoretical application of the fundamentals of poses.
Stylish Character CreationComplete your own male and female characters based on character illustration composition (creation, production) that can catch the viewers' eyes.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Intro
01. How to Use This Course 100%
- No One Knows Your Potential
- Reasons Why There Is No Significant Improvement
- Motivation, Goals and Achievements, and Self-Objectification
- Drawing Is a Marathon
02. The Three-Dimensional Effect
- Three-Dimensional Effect Is More Vital than Anatomy
- Why It Is Difficult to Express Three-Dimensionally
- Examples Disregarded the Three-Dimensionality
- How to Apply Perspective to the Character
- Practices to Improve the Three-Dimensionality
- Shortening, Interpretation, and Observation Training
03. Varying Difference in Strokes and Lines
- Good and Bad Lines: Practice Lines
- Bad Habits When Drawing Lines and Examples of Good Uses of Lines
- Changes in the Hand Axis According to the Way the Line Is Drawn
- Muscle Memory, Usage of Various Lines
- Usage of Lines for a Convincing Three-Dimensional Art
04. Croquis, Why Is It Important?
- What Is Croquis?
- Why You Should Draw Croquis
SECTION 02. Whole-Body Scan
05. Balance Is More Important than Proportion
- Body Proportions: Head, Torso, Arms, and Legs
- Setting Your Own Standard Ratio, Aside from the Stereotypical 8-Head Figure (8-To-Head) Ratio
- An Important Tip for Figure Design: Balance
- View and Interpret Photos
06. Human Body Geometrization
- Why and How to Geometricize
- The Importance to Geometricize Various Poses and Angles
- Torso Geometric Drawing: Torso Proportions and Shape Drawing Tips
- Whole-Body Figure Drawing: Body Proportions and Shape Drawing Tips
07. Practicing Geometric Drawing
- Interpret Shortening and Overlapping from Photos (Try Posing Yourself If Facing Challenges)
- Understand the Division of Sides
- Repeat without Breaking the Proportions
SECTION 03. The Head
08. Do You Know the Sides of the Head?
- Identify the Sides of the Head
- Identify Features from 4 Different Angles
- Rotate the Head by Focusing on the Shortening of the Sides
- Position the Neck from the Shoulders
- Concentrate on Understanding the Slope and Interpreting the Photo
09. The Eye
- The Eye Structure and Its Three-Dimensional Sides
- Changes According to The Shape of the Eye
- The Characteristics of the Various Shape of the Eyes
- Expression of the Eyes
- Characteristics of the Eyes Based on the Angle
10. The Nose, Mouth, and Ears
- The Nose and Mouth
- Recognize the Sides of the Chin
- Tips for Opening the Mouth or Moving the Chin
- Comprehend the Shapes of the Ear by Angle
11. The Hair
- Identify the Bulges (Lumps) Of Hair
- The Order, Direction and Interpretation of Drawing the Hair
12. Draw the Face from Various Angles
- Draw the Head While Understanding Structural Features
13. Conveying Style: All Comes Down to Attractiveness
- Identify the Attractive Elements of Various Characters
- Actualization of Facial Features
- Attractive Face Angles
- Understand the Various Impressions Corresponding to the Change of Angles
SECTION 04. Upper Body
14. The Neck and Shoulders
- Movement of the Clavicle and Scapula (Shoulder Blades)
- Location of Muscles Connecting the Neck and Shoulders
- Explain and Demonstrate the Principle of Movement of the Muscles
15. Anterior and Posterior Muscles of the Body
- The Principle of Motions and Position of the Anterior Muscles of the Upper Body
- The Principle of Motions and Position of the Posterior Muscles of the Upper Body
16. Bulge, Flow, and Muscles in the Arms
- Identify the Bones of the Arm
- Understand the Principle of the Bulges in the Arm
- Identify the Landmarks
- Connect the Muscles of the Arm
- Adjust the Volume
- Examples of Various Poses and Body Types
17. Foundation of the Hand and Its Proportions
- Proportions and Features of the Bones of the Hand
- Tips for Drawing Hand Wrinkles and Nails
- How to Draw Hands
- Common Mistakes
- Tips for Various Poses
- Capture Movements Easily/ Croquis
- Understand the Hand in Two Methods
SECTION 05. Lower Body
18. Bulges, Flow, and Muscles in the Legs
- Identify the Bones of the Legs
- Understand the Principle of the Bulges in the Legs
- Identify the Landmarks
- Leg Muscles
- Draw Skillfully to Be Able to Visualize the Whole Work
- Draw Various Poses of the Legs
- Interpret and Explain Legs in Various Poses, Such as Sitting and Kneeling
19. Foot and Shoe Expression
- Geometrical Drawing and Proportions of the Feet
- Understand Foot Movements, Proportions, and Planes
- Characteristics of the Ankle, Instep, Expression of the Toes, and Toenail
- Tips for Drawing Shoes
- Draw Various Poses and Angles
- Transfiguring Photos Geometrically, Croquis
SECTION 06. Pose
20. Body Shape Language and Deformation
- Design from the Silhouette
- Create Character Thumbnails with Shapes and Simple Silhouettes
- Amplify One Aspect of the Drawing
- Maintain the Balance
- Identify the Unnatural Segments
- Examples of Various Body Types
- Tips for Capturing Poses (Waist)
- Creating the Three-Dimensional Effect / Demonstration and Explanation by Angle
21. Pose Basics and Analysis of Various Poses
- Why Does My Character Look Stiff?
- Joints That Create Movement
- Create Natural Poses by Using Various Joints
- Good and Bad Poses
- Utilize Contrapposto
- Analyze Various Fascinating Poses through Geometrical Drawing
22. Angle Transitions: High and Low Angles
- Characteristics of the Angle Seen from Above
- Characteristics of the Angle Seen from Below
- Description of Changes According to the Depth of the Human Body
- Aspects to Consider When Incorporating Poses
- Envision with a Broad Frame When Approaching Unfamiliar Angles
SECTION 07. Character Production
23. The Principle of Folds in Clothes
- The Principle of How Folds in Clothes Are Formed
- Expression by Material and Size
- Understanding the Thickness and Depth of Wrinkles
- Interpretation of Various Types of Clothing
24. Dress Up Your Character
- Imitate Fully Clothed Characters as Well as the Methods of Analyzing
- Design Images with Wrinkles and Creases
- Clothed in Various Poses
- Draw Various Types of Clothes
25. Character Production
- Draw Character Illustrations
- Concept, References, Thumbnails, and the Eye Movement
- Examples of Inadequate Productions and Object Utilization
- Interpret Other Drawings from a Production Perspective
- Objectively Critique Own Drawings
- Good Training: A Cycle of Practice and Creation
- The Orders and Keys for Each Exercise and the Processes
SECTION 08. Draw a Stylish Character
26. Draw a Male Character
- Design the Concept, Rough Sketch, Thumbnail
- Direct the Direction of the Gaze, Divide the Sides
- Completion Based on Reference
27. Draw a Female Character
- Capture the Concept, Rough, Thumbnail
- Catch the Direction of the Gaze, Dividing the Face
- Completion Based on Reference
28. Coloring Female Characters
- Coloring and Delineation Completion
- Increase the Density to Complete Delineation
* Curriculum details may change before or after the video is released.
with Illustrator Sungmoo Heo
What Are the Strengths and Differences of Your Course from Others?
I am going to share my secrets and analytical approaches to drawing a character by applying various angles/poses/body shapes and expressing them three-dimensionally. In addition, I will talk about the difficulties often encountered as an artist, and help students develop the power to actively observe through the process of interpretation and demonstration of references.
Who Would You Recommend
the Course To?
This will be a good course for beginners who want to draw characters that are applicable in webtoons/games/animations or intermediate users who want to create colorful/diverse characters with three-dimensional and dynamic poses, to broaden the limits of their human body drawings.
What Do You Think Are the Most
Crucial Attitude And Competencies
for an Artist?
I believe a 'healthy mindset' is crucial. The conditions for learning the technical aspects of graphics have improved more than in the past; nevertheless, there will be challenges while studying. The challenges can only be gradually resolved when supported by willpower, critical thinking to solve one’s problems, and the mental ability to execute them consistently.
This course is conducted with Clip Studio Paint; please purchase and install the program's latest version for an optimized learning experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the course.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (firstname.lastname@example.org) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: email@example.com