Illustrator Miacat Class Description
“Learn fairytale-style character design
and expand your skillset"
Have you ever wondered if you could draw
characters from the animations
that you have watched?
Stop wondering and start drawing!
With this class, you will learn
not only how to create dreamy
but also how to create characters
with your own personal touch,
and produce illustrations that tell a story.
These lessons encompass
fairytale character stylization,
and character colorization.
Length: 22 videos (14h 19m)
Adobe Photoshop CC
1 Practice exercise
69 Image files
Miacat's Profile & Portfolio
Hi, I'm Miacat, a freelance illustrator.
I used to work for a game studio for many years.
Then I became interested in fairytale-style illustrations
and started doing fairytale-style character design.
I'm currently working as a freelance illustrator in Korea.
Most of my clients are from the North American market.
I teach at Arteum Academy
while working on my personal projects.
With the tips and tricks I picked up while I self-taught
fairytale-style illustration, and with my work
and teaching experience, I'm sure everyone
interested in fairytale-style illustration
and character design can learn character stylization
and the character design process.
Lecturer at Ateum Academy
Projects & Awards
Flaming Heart: Being Filled with Falling Light - Album cover (2013)
Published Handbook for Fairytale-Style Illustrations (2016)
Won first place in The Sixth Naver Web Animation Challenge (2016)
Riot Korea - League of Legends collaboration artist (2017)
Mattel - Doll Design (2017)
Secret House - Game Character Design and Illustration (2018)
Published Miacat's Character Drawing (2019)
Comic-con Seoul - Collaboration Artist (2019)
Iconix's Pororo - Concept Art (2019)
Riot Korea - League of Legends 10-year anniversary illustration (2019)
Participated in LightBox Expo (2019)
Hyundai Media - VR Project Character Design (2019)
Dreamworks TV - Character Design (2020)
Riot Korea - League of Legends KDA Collaboration Artist (2020)
Lee (Student)Not only did I learn to draw characters that were visuallly appealing, but I was also able to breathe life into them by infusing them with personalities. I learned why outlining the general shape of the character was an important step and got a chance to experiment with different body types instead of sticking to the standard body type like I used to do.
Heo (Student)I believe Miacat's class can be summarized with two words: process and personality. His step-by-step guide helps you bring your characters to life. Students were given the room for creativity while designing the characters and the universe, and were also taught how to rely on systemic process when implementing their ideas. In short, his lecture was fun and practical!
Create a Complete
Body Proportion (Full Body)
Body Proportion (head)
Character Stylization (Head)
Create Your Own Character
Create Your Own Animated Characters With a Fairytale-Style
Learn how to create fairytale-style characters with expressive eyes and unique facial features! This class gives you step-by-step guidelines on body proportions, facial angles, drawing fundamentals and real-life applications.
Character Stylization Basics and Its Application In Character Drawing
Other than outfit design, character stylization is another important component in expressing your characters' personalities. Learn not only full-body character stylization by body types, but also learn how to describe diverse facial features and expression through this class and design your own characters.
Design Your Very Own Character
Design your own unique characters by learning how to research references and choose the right facial features, poses, and colors. This class will teach you how to actually realize the character design you had in mind.
Body Proportion and MovementYou'll learn how to design bodies that feel natural and explore various gestures which will aid you in picking the right poses for your characters.
Understand Fairytale-Style Character StylizationYou'll learn the character stylization process for various body types such as muscular, skinny, and round types. You'll also get a chance to practice different types of facial character stylization to build a solid foundation for character design.
Diverse Character ExpressionsDraw expressions for different emotions such as joy, sadness, anger, fear, and surprise. You'll also practice creating characters of various races and age groups.
Character Design That Tells a StoryYou'll learn what to look out for when designing characters with a background story and conceptualize plots that suit your personas.
Character Design Tips That Fit Your GoalsLearn how to pick the silhouette, poses, colors, and styles for your characters based on your previously thought intentions and create your own fairytale-style characters.
Create Character Sheets for a Better Understanding of 3DCreate character sheets required for collaboration during 3D and animation production. With character sheets, you can learn that the character can be recognized from different angles and learn to understand the figure from a 3D perspective.
*The images are sample images to help students understand the class.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Intro
- Illustrator introduction
- Class introduction
- Out of the box teaching method
- An approach for enhanced drawing skills
SECTION 02. Fundamentals of Fairytale-Style Character Design
02. Body Proportions - Full Body
- 8-head body proportions
- Body proportions from the front
- Body proportions from the side
- Distorted proportions
- Calculate proportions for consistent results
03. Body Proportions - Head
- Structure of the head
- Head from the front and the side
- 3-Dimensional head
- Drawing order
04. Body Movement
- Big movements and small movements
- Analyze body movement
- Sketch order based on movements
- The why and how of Croquis
- Why use pencils
- Croquis process
- Application while drawing
SECTION 03. Fundamentals of Fairytale-Style Character Design and Application
06. Character Stylization - Body Types
- Character stylization of various body types
- Types of character stylization
- Heavyset body type
- Slender body type
- Skinny body type
07. Character Stylization - Head
- Build different types of faces by combining geometric shapes
- What is a Face Puzzle
- Why use a Face Puzzle
- How to use a Face Puzzle
08. Characterization Based on Photos
- Identify characteristic features
- Characterization using photos
SECTION 04. Face, the Soul of a Character
09. Character Head From Different Angles
- Draw character heads from different angles
- Synchronize drawings of heads from the front and the side
- Draw heads from a 3D perspective
- The flow of hair and rules for drawing
- How to draw natural-looking hair
- Why your hair drawing looks unnatural
11. Character Expressions
- Characters with different expressions
- Characteristics of five main emotions
- Intensity and combinations of emotions
- Describe emotions with three-dimensional faces
SECTION 05. Create Your Own Characters!
12. Character Conceptualization and Design
- Why character conceptualization is important
- What factors make conceptualization easy
- What factors make conceptualization difficult
- Design a character with simple information
13. Character Silhouette
- Why silhouette is important for character design
- Create silhouette based on character information
- Add accessories with layers
14. Character Design - Black and White Balance
- What is B/W value
- Create different versions of black-and-white drafts
- Large and small area design
15. Character Design - Key Color Design
- Impressions of different colors
- Utilize colors that fit the character
- Importance of color arrangement
16. Character Poses and Gestures
- Difference between natural and awkward poses
- Add perspective
17. Character Poses
- Importance of character poses
- Character poses that match the context
- The necessity of different versions
- Final touchup
18. Character Colorization
- Finish the character with colorization
- Examples of different colorization styles
- Difference between borderless coloring and lined coloring
- Pick the colorization style and finish the drawing
- How to organize layers
SECTION 06. Add Backgrounds for Characters
19. Add Backgrounds for Characters
- Examples of simple and quick backgrounds
- Match character lighting on photos
- Fill out background based on character information
SECTION 07. Character Sheets: Understanding Characters From a 3D Perspective
20. Make Character Sheets - Full Body
- Make character sheets for designed characters
- Sheets for full body figures
- Sheets for before and after adding outfits
21. Make Character Sheets - Head and Expressions
- Make sheets for heads
- Build different expressions
22. Finish Character Sheets
- Character sheet examples from artbooks
- Touch up your character sheets
with Illustrator Miacat
What Makes This Class Special?
This class focuses on fairytale-style drawings. There are different styles: cartoon, realistic, anime, fairytale, etc. The fairytale and anime styles are the most popular of them all. The fairytale-style might look easy, but it actually requires a very solid foundation. This class provides a step-by-step guidance for beginners interested in learning fairytale-style designs.
What Will the Students Learn From Taking This Class?
People often forget about their goals when designing characters. That would mess up their process and they would start drawing by rote. The class aims to simplify the character design process by boldly eliminating the unnecessary steps and by teaching the student the most efficient approach.
Who Should Take This Class?
I'd recommend this class to people who want to try different styles of characters or create their own unique personas. Many find it difficult to try out new styles of character design and often stick to their old ways. The class will teach you the fundamentals and conceptualization of fairytale-style character design so you could create your own unique characters.
This course will use Adobe Photoshop CC.
Please purchase and install the latest versions of the programs for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (email@example.com) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: email@example.com
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org