GraphicDesigner,JaehoonChoi_최재훈 Class Description
Have you ever wanted
to display eye-catching
and instantly identifiable
graphic designs with consistency
on different applications and projects?
Well then you would need
a distinct design style grounded
in the foundations of design,
so that you could use
fluent design language with flexibility
and stand out everywhere and anywhere.
Length: 19 videos
(Duration 5h 47m)
Adobe Illustrator 2021
Adobe InDesign 2021
* You may use previous versions (Version CS6 or above)
Original files for hands-on exercises
* 6 visual references
* Over 10 hands-on exercises
Expert Graphic Designer
Jaehoon Choi's Profile & Portfolio
Hello, this is Jaehoon Choi,
Graphic designer and owner of
Design Studio Werk.
I worked as a graphic designer
for various projects including
the Nike By You Seoul and Hongdae store,
the DOOSAN Humanities Theater 2022: fairness,
the Naver 1784 brand store product launch, and more.
Currently I'm working on a variety of
commercial, cultural, and art design projects
that use experimental graphic design approaches
based on adaptable design languages.
I know that there are a lot of you
struggling in creating distinct
and appealing designs.
This is why I would like to help
by laying down a strong foundation
for you to develop unique and intriguing images,
and build your own design solutions
so that you could be flexible yet identifiable
in any project you undertake.
Studio Werk, CEO/Graphic Designer
Projects & Awards
Creative Studio Unravel, Graphic Designer
064 Design, BX/Graphic Designer
Graphic Design for DOOSAN Humanities Theater 2022: Fairness
Graphic Design for Naver 1784 Brand Store Product
Graphic and Store installation Design for Nike Seoul Nike By You
Graphic Design Nike Hongdae Nike By You
Brand Identity and Graphic Design for Studio Simdo
Graphic Identity and Design for VIVAWAVE POCKET PAPER
Branding and Graphic Design for yyyyynnn
Graphic Design for 2020 Seoul Museum of Art Exhibition "Candid Essence: 51 LIVES"
2021 OH DEAR CO. Collaborative Exhibition 'FROMET', Incheon/Seoul
2019 "Form of Cover" at 'Corner' section, 6th Typojanchi: Typography and Objects, Seoul
2018-20 100 Films 100 Posters at JIFF, Jeonju/Seoul
2021 "Nike Seoul", Grand Prize for Communication design at 'Korea Design
Awards 2021' hosted by Monthly Design
[Interviews and Articles]
2022 Interview, BranD Magazine Issue 61 "The Final Layout" (HK)
2022 Interview, Pangram Pangram Foundry 'Pangram Paper' (CA/UK)
2021 Article, Monthly Design Magazine Vol.522 'Nike Seoul: Studio Werk' (KR)
2020 Interview, Concept & Design Magazine Design360° No.88 “Today's Korean Design” (CN)
2020 Studio interview, Quarterly magazine GRAPHIC #46 'Studio Directory' (KR)
2020 Interview, It’s Nice That “Graphic designer Jaehoon Choi finds form in function when combining the abstract with strict rules” (UK)
2019 The Brand Identity article, “Jaehoon Choi revives a series of optical illustrations from a 1728 encyclopedia” (UK)
2019 Article, CA Magazine #246 Mutuality and Interaction, “The depth of black and white: Studio Simdo” (KR)
10 Hands-on Graphic Design
TypographyLearn about different typefaces and ways to stylize typography.
Using Color and LayoutsLearn about color and layout composition and their variations.
Graphic ElementsCreate Graphic Elements with information given and graphic motifs.
Custom TypefaceLearn about different typefaces and ways to stylize typography.
Visualize Keywords and ConceptsLearn how to visualize specific and detailed keywords and concepts into graphic images.
Diverse ApplicationsCreate diverse applications for Graphic elements while maintaining concept consistency.
Insight into Key Element Composition for Each Project and Adaptable Design Approaches
You will learn how to compose key design elements for different graphic design conditions from posters to a variety of applications, and the process of developing the main concept.
Case Studies to Help You Build
a Distinct Design Language
You will learn to define and build a distinct and creative design style and language through over 6 case studies.
Creating Consistency between Different Applications with Design Systems
You will learn the fundamental approach for creating consistent design styles, and work with hands-on exercises where you could get a sense for applying the approach yourself.
Appropriate Design Approaches for Each Project and SituationYou will learn how to tailor designs for various design projects with reference searches, appropriate design languages and approach.
Types of Typefaces
and Typography StylizingYou will learn the different types of typefaces from classic to modern, understand typography, which is the foundation of graphic design, and its settings for an organized composition.
Design Composition Using Graphic Elements, Color, and LayoutYou will learn how to create and use the back bone of graphic design, such as the graphic elements, color, and layout, more effectively and with more flexibility.
for Typeface CreationYou will learn to create custom typefaces that implement characteristics of an object into specific shapes.
Information and Concept Visualization into Graphic ElementsYou will learn how to draw out keywords and concepts from information about the object and visualize it into graphic images that are appealing.
Creating Consistency in Concepts
for Diverse ApplicationsYou will learn to apply graphic assets to various applications with the graphic elements you create during the hands-on exercises of the basic graphic elements class
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Introduction
- Introduction of the instructor and previous work
- Overview of personal style, intentions for class, and class curriculum
02. Diversity of Design Projects & Design Approaches
- Design Project examples for different mediums: branding, poster, package, web, editorials
- Design categories and approaches for each project
- Understanding visual communication through briefs and graphics
- Actual examples of how to develop creative design processes
SECTION 02. Foundations of Graphic Design
03. Typeface & Typography 1
- Understanding different images of typefaces
- Understanding current trends of typeface designs
- How to pick the appropriate typeface for a project
- General and unique ways to compose typography
- Case Study: Typefaces of different Type foundrys on 'Font In Use'
04. Typeface & Typography 2
- Stylizing and setting hierarchies for Typography
- Understanding different Typography settings
- Understanding placement, use of negative space, grid applications and more for Typefaces
05. Color Usage & Color System 1
- Understanding color and color selection
- Experiments for fresh and exciting color selections
- Case Study: Analyzing works of Ellsworth Kelly and Josef Albers
06. Color Usage & Color System 2
- Understanding color strategy for design intentions
- Creating a color palette for a project
- Systemizing colors
07. Graphic Motif / Element 1
- Introduction to graphic elements needed for visualization when creating graphic identities
- Understanding how to interpret graphic motifs into graphic elements
- Case study: Tezzo Suzuki's calendar project
08. Graphic Motif / Element 2
- Hands-on exercise, creating a graphic element with reference image as motif
- Case Study: Creating graphic elements based on the shape of an object
09. Layout 1
- Current trends in graphic design layouts and evaluation on different layout designs
10. Layout 2
- Understanding typical/atypical typography and image layouts
- Understanding different layouts on different artboard ratios
SECTION 03. Design Application Project: From Conceptualization to Visualization
11. Custom Typeface / Lettering
- Custom typeface/lettering based on visual characteristics of an object
- Understanding lettering for brand logos or poster designs, and more
- Case study: Expressing the characteristics of a Moebius strip as a typeface
12. Visualization of Information and Concepts 1: Graphic Expression
- Experiments on different graphic expression approaches when creating or compositing visual interpretations of specific/abstract objects or concepts
13. Visualization of Information and Concept 2: Developing Concepts
- How to actualize a modern art piece into cards/posters
14. Creating a Consistent Design Language
- How to use a design approach to create consistent design language on different applications for one concept
- Case study: Inspired by triptych, creating a series of 3 graphic tableaus of design pieces
15. Graphic Identity 1
- How to develop a basic design system for graphic identity
16. Graphic Identity 2
- Hands-on Exercise: Creating different applications(poster, card, document, stationery, label sticker, merch, social media image, etc) for a hypothetical design project
SECTION 04. How to Be a Graphic Designer, without Losing Your Soul
17. Exploring the Creative Process for Design Projects
- About the book "How to be a graphic designer, without losing your soul"
- Tasks and habits you could implement for your own design approach and creative design process
- What you should do to achieve desired results in actual design projects
18. Expanding Your Interest into Other Fields and Genres
- Insight into collaborating and communicating with workers in other fields
- Personal story on the experience of expanding understanding about other fields and gathering information to create a distinct style
19. Surviving as a Designer
- How to create a portfolio, find job or clients as a designer
- How to face the reality, or non-design works related to design, as a designer
Graphic Designer, Jaehoon Choi
What is the unique selling point of this class that you've intended?
This class is unique because you'll learn to come up with your own design solutions for different projects, and develop a distinct and flexible design language. I'll teach you how to draw out creative concepts, how to visualize and adapt the concepts with flexibility, and how to build your own design language to create a distinct style and perspective that you could use to create any design solution.
In what fields could the students use the insights/skills they learn from this class?
This class deals with the general knowledge needed in graphic design in specifics, which is why you'll be able to come up with design concepts, develop the main graphics and create applications without being bound to either brand or graphic designs.
Who do you recommend this class to?
I recommend this class to everyone from graphic design majors with a basic understanding of the tools, to junior designers or anyone who wants to create brand designs or visual marketing materials. With this class you'll learn the foundations and approach of graphic designs, as well as how to draw out design concepts from given information, and how to visualize and apply the concept.
This course will use Adobe Ilustrator 2021 and Adobe InDesign 2021.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
* You may use other versions of Adobe Illustrator and InDeisgn.
* These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
This course will open on March 07, 2023 (PST)
*The duration of the class discount may change without prior notice.
*Please ensure to fill in your email address correctly, as the payment and class information will be sent to the registered email address.
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (email@example.com) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: email@example.com
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org