ConceptArtist,JoonhyungAhn_안준형 Class Description
"Is perspective really that important?"
To portray the atmospheric distance between objects
and demonstrate the exact form of the subject,
you must have the necessary knowledge, skills,
and know how to build up your basic skills effectively.
Learn the theories of perspective
and apply them to actual drawings of natural
and artificial objects such as
the human body, animals, plants,
architecture, cars, airplanes, spaceships,
medieval buildings, background, etc.
Length: 24 videos
(Duration 29h 45m)
Expert Joonhyung Ahn's
Profile & Portfolio
Hello. This is concept artist Junhyung Ahn.
I am currently working on various projects
in the American film/game field.
I have major careers at Lucas Arts, Disney Animation,
and Riot Games, and my representative work includes
world concept design for the popular game
League of Legends.
Many people have difficulty with
perspective when they first start drawing.
In this class, from basic line practice
to concept drawing, you can understand
the theory as well as level up step by step
as I teach you how to strengthen
the basics of solid drawing.
Don't worry even if you're a beginner
who has just started drawing.
With 15 years of experience
as an instructor of concept art,
I will use fun and easy methods
to help you make diverse outputs
and help you grow in no time.
Brainstorm School Instructor
Projects & Awards
2014~2018 Senior Concept Artist at Riot Games
2013~2013 Concept Artist at Riot Games
2011~2013 Concept/Background Artist at Disney ABC Television Group
12 Class Exercises
Font, Pattern, Logo
Sphere / Face
Castle in the Sky
Learn From an Expert Concept Artist Recognized by Global Companies
Concept artist Joonhyung Ahn, a specialist with many years of practical work experience, teaches you how to draw with an understanding of a subject’s composition and to apply the basics of perspective to the drawing.
Various Drawing Practice Curriculum: Natural Objects and Artificial Objects
Exercise-based drawing of over 10 different types of objects with perspective could help you build up simple drawing skills like the order of picture or point of emphasis and a sense of form that could help you draw like the actual object.
Step-By-Step Basic Knowledge for Background Concept Art
The background is the key to enhancing all illustrations. We will learn the basic skills and theories needed in drawing concept art by applying basic line drawing and perspective to the drawing of the Castle of Sky.
Basic Line Exercises
with Various BrushesLearn the basic setup of tools such as Photoshop and Wacom and the use of the brush. And we will learn about straight lines, curves, fast lines, and slow lines which are the basics of drawing.
Drawing Basic Shapes with an Understanding of Composition and SymmetryDevelop an understanding of flat shapes’ composition and symmetry through circles, polygons, fonts, and patterns. Then have a chance to make the very first step of drawing, the shapes.
Application of Composition
on Actual DrawingUnderstand the importance of observing the subject, identify the composition by size and detail, and draw out the human body, animals, plants, and other natural objects.
Understand the Essential Element of Drawing: PerspectiveLearn one-point, two-point, and three-point perspectives and how each of them is applied in drawing objects and backgrounds.
The Key to Good Background Concept Art: Artificial ObjectsDraw different artificial objects such as cars, airplanes, spaceships, buildings, etc. with the application of basic perspective ideas and theories
Background Concept Art Featuring a Castle in the SkySet the mood of the concept art through the application of perspective on the background and a research on references. Then draw a Castle of Sky through composition and staging.
Joonhyung Ahn's Class
Recommended by Experts in the Field
Student Ryan BoyeJoon's instruction is easy to follow and very thorough. He breaks his art techniques down into simple processes and guides you with the practice you need to master each step. In the end, you'll be amazed at how all of your new skills fit together. Joon is a world-class artist and teacher.
Student Marco FirmeOf the classes I took by all great artists, Joon was the best at breaking down the theory and process of painting in a digestible method. His ability to identify and prioritize specific skill gaps was critical in helping me make large leaps in the quality of my paintings.
Student Alam PangraksaIt was an amazing experience, there are a lot of flaws and bad habits that have been fixed through the mentorship. There are plenty of fundamentals that are covered. All in all, I get a lot from the lessons.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
SECTION 01. Drawing Like An Expert
01. Intro of the Instructor and the Importance of Drawing
- Instructor, Major Pieces, Career and Experience
- Class Introduction: Concept of Class, What You Can Learn
- The Importance of Drawing and Learning with Efficiency
SECTION 02. Basics of Drawing
02. Basic Settings of Photoshop and Tools & Practicing Lines Using Various Brushes
- Explanations and Setup for Windows, Photoshop, Wacom Tools
- Using and Making Brushes
- Drawing Straight Lines and Curves, Fast Lines and Slow Lines, Circles and Ovals
03. Drawing Simple Shapes
- Understanding Composition and Symmetry of 2D Shapes: Circles, Polygons, Fonts, and Patterns
- Measurement and Division: Knowing the Exact Measurement and Angle through Practice
- Verifying Symmetry
- Drawing Fonts, Patterns, and Logos
04. Drawing Through Observation
- Theme: Human Face
- Observe/Measure with Grid
- The Reason and Importance of Drawing as it is
05. Drawing With an Understanding of Composition
- Theme: Animals, Plants, Hands
- The Reason for Understanding Composition
- Large Structure > Small Structure> Detail
06. Clearing Lines and Giving Shades With Lines
- Theme: Sphere, Human Face
- Making Shapes with Lines
- Making Shades with Lines
07. Drawing Natural Objects With Unclear Lines
- Theme: Trees, Rocks, Clouds, and Scenery
- Simplifying the Subject
- Understanding and Depicting 3D with Line
SECTION 03. Perspective 1: Objects
08. Understanding Perspective
- Basic Concept on Perspective
- Understanding One-Point, Two-Point, Three-Point Perspective
- Perspective in Drawing Objects, Perspective in Drawing Backgrounds
- The Importance of Criteria: How Should a Circle be Formed in Your Perspective?
- Understanding Different Lenses
- Setting Up My Own Perspective with a Cellphone
09. Drawing Simple Objects
- Theme: Can, Box, Furniture, Camera
- Observing and Understanding Composition
- Draw on Exact XYZ Axis
- Adding Graphic Elements/Details
10. Drawing Cars
- Theme: Car
- Understanding Composition with Box and Cylinder
- Dividing Side, Adding Curves
- Adding Graphic Elements/Details
11. Drawing Airplanes
- Theme: Airplane
- Draw with an Understanding of Cross Section
- Drawing in a Different Angle Through Perspective
12. Drawing Spaceships
- Theme: Speed Forms, Streamlined Objects, Spaceships
- Creating Your Own Design
- Draw with Note to Object’s Cross Section
- Understanding Reference Examples: Understanding Proportions, Forms, and Designs
- Building Solid Structure and Adding Details
- Make Speedier Sketches with Experience
13. Drawing Buildings
- Theme: Medieval Buildings
- Understanding Structure and Design
- Draw with Set Perspective
14. Drawing the Human Body
- Theme: Human Body
- The Front, Side, Back Image and Proportions
- Simplifying the Body in Joints with Structure and Perspective
- Drawing Costumes
- Explanations on Various Poses
SECTION 04. Perspective: Space
15. Apply Perspective in the Background
- Fundamental Understanding of One-point, Two-point Perspective
- Most Frequently Used Perspective and Reasons Behind
- Finding Reference Point for Horizon and Vanishing Point
- Applying Perspective on a Turned Around Object
- Making Perspective Lines without Vanishing Point
- Application on Buildings
16. Three-Point Perspective & a High-Rise Building
- Method in Finding Three-point Perspective Lines through References
- Applying Perspective to Repetitive Pattern
- Expressing Detail with Simplified 3D
- Expressing Simple Shading
17. Designing an Interior Space
- Designing Space in the Theme of Your Room
- Methods of Finding References on Themes
- Applying Perspective According to the Design of Space and Object
SECTION 05. Light and Shadow & Applying Concept
18. Lights and Shadow
- Principles of Light: Relation of Brightness to Light and Surface
- Calculation of Light with Basic 3D Objects (Box, Cylinder, Sphere)
- Principles on How Shadows Are Formed
- Similarities and Differences Between Lines and Surfaces Showing Brightness
19. Lines, Surfaces, and Details
- Contrast Expression Method for Buildings with Light and Shadow
- Line Technique Appropriate to the Situation and Light Expressed in Planes
- Simplifying Brightness by Different Stages
- Differentiate Object’s Distinct Brightness with the Brightness of Light
SECTION 06. Concept Design
20. An Ancient Sacred Place
- Designing Natural Background and Building
- Camera Angle and Composition According to Concept
- Usage of Brightness, Shading, and Line Technique
- Setting the Scale
21. A Character With a Bike1
- Reference Research Technique for Inspiration
- Physical Elements and Basics on Transportation Design
- Composition and Perspective
22. A Character With a Bike 2
- Understanding and Application of Color
23. A Castle in the Sky 1
- Designing a Large-scale Building
- Composition and Staging
- Application of Perspective
- Expression of Volume and Line According to Scale
24. A Castle in the Sky 2
- Vintage Style Texture and Color Description
- Setting the Mood through Reference Research
- Differences Between Line and Surface Techniques, Density
- Focal Point, Emphasis and Ellipsis
Which student do you recommend taking this class?
It is suited for beginners who are just starting and intermediates who want to improve their skills. It is also recommended to people who cannot draw in 3D, have difficulties drawing without an example, have not been improving for a long time, have a deficiency in the basics, and want to learn digital tools and drawing at the same time.
What is one aspect of drawing that beginners struggle the most with?
The most difficult aspect for beginners is getting good-quality lines and making exact observations. Even after observation, it is difficult to draw it in the right form. In this class, you will be learning both 2D and 3D measuring techniques to develop your senses. You will also learn the essential skills of perspective, all the efficient tools, and tips that I have acquired through my years of experience.
What is the essential point that you want the students to obtain through this class?
I want students to have fun and gain confidence in accurate perspective and drawing. Basically, while understanding how the perspective technique was created through the human field of view and the camera lens, you can learn in-depth and accurate perspectives to create interesting results by mobilizing various themes and your imagination. If you develop a solid sense of shape through basic skills, you will naturally gain confidence.
What must be done along with the class for a faster level-up?
First of all, there is a point that you have to stick to the basics, which are the core of the class. It takes a huge amount of practice. It's not just one drawing and it's over, you have to draw at least 5 or more. It is also important to get into the habit of always morphologically analyzing the objects around you. If you practice constantly with the belief that painting is honestly proportional to the amount of practice, you will eventually see a leveled-up picture.
This course will use Wacom Intuos and Adobe Photoshop CC.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
This course will open on February 21, 2023 (PST)
*The duration of the class discount may change without prior notice.
*Please ensure to fill in your email address correctly, as the payment and class information will be sent to the registered email address.
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (email@example.com) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: email@example.com
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org