Illustrator Chyan [챤] Class Description
Capture a wider variety of tones
using color composition techniques
found in anime-style illustrations.
Have you already learned the basics of art theory
but are still having difficulty applying them
when creating your own work?
Learn the basics of creating detailed work
and applying them by drawing hair &
pleated clothes, capturing character gaze,
and arranging multiple characters.
You'll also practice anime-style
color composition and screen design
to learn how to achieve different tones
even when altering the same drawing.
Length: 22 videos
Adobe Photoshop CC
2 Class exercises
11 PSD files
Chyan's Profile & Portfolio
※ This portfolio includes fan art
Create Anime-Style Illustrations
With Trendy Colors and Designs
Through Class Exercises
Effective Use of Anatomy
Coloring to Fit the Tone
Complete a full illustration and portrait illustration
*The images are sample images to help students understand the class.
Hello, I'm Illustrator Chyan.
I am currently working
as a freelance illustrator and instructor
at Propic Academy.
While teaching my class for many years,
I have often seen students who are well-read in theory
but who have difficulties with practical application,
or who are good in the rough stages
but stumble during the detail stages.
In this class, I am going to teach you how to create
more appealing looks, silhouettes, lighting and coloring, etc;
to make your characters stand out,
focusing more on skills rather than theory.
To this end, I plan to go through various
hands-on exercises, so be prepared to draw a lot.
The Secret to Trendy
Anime Color Composition
Learn how to use color to set different tones and atmospheres commonly used in anime illustrations. Additionally, you'll learn how to increase density with color composition and boundary colors often used in other illustration styles.
Create Portrait Illustrations
& Full Illustrations
Discover the differences between 'a "full illustration' and "portrait illustration." This is important for those who work as an original artist or as an illustrator for games. You will also learn design and working methods for each form of illustration.
Find Out How to Utilize Lectures and Self-Study Tips
Chyan explains, not only how to find valuable knowledge and materials, solve problems, and practice drawing, but also provides guidelines for getting the most out of lectures and providing self-feedback, so that you can do things on your own.
& Theory ApplicationGet a brief look into human anatomy and express movement through frequently used body types, skeletons, and muscles. Then apply facial expressions, hair, clothing, and pleats that fit the character's personality and overall concept.
Kick Your Drawings
Up a NotchLearn how to handle character gazes, arrange multiple characters, link three-dimensional objects, and set up characters in a simple space to create more dynamic anime illustrations.
A Silhouette's Influence
On a Character’s ImageUnderstand how to select a silhouette, depending on the concept you want to implement. You'll compose a rough image based on the character silhouette, and then try your hand at expressing detailed postures.
How to Select a
Light & Color PaletteExamine the characteristics of soft light, hard light, daylight, reflected light, and color schemes often found in anime, and learn the secret to combining border colors with other colors to increase density and level of completion without adding too many extra touches.
For Varying TonesLearn commonly used compositions for cute, calm, and glamorous concepts. Understand how to achieve good balance, and create movement, coloring, and screen compositions that elicit each tone as best as possible.
How to Practice
Drawing EffectivelyLearn why certain materials are used, develop your knowledge of different materials, and how to objectively view your own drawings and establish a direction and plan for self-study in the future.
*The images are sample images to help students understand the class.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
The special offer ends this Friday
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save more!
Section 01. Introduction: Why It's Important to Use Good Materials
1. Discover Your Style By Understanding Illustration
- Brief self-introduction
- What is an illustration?
- Differences between original drawings, game illustrations, illustrations, and fan art
- Creating your own style
2. Study Using Reference Materials
- Reasons for using reference materials
- How to use reference materials
- How to train yourself by using them effectively
Section 02. Review Theories Necessary for Character Drawing
3. Human Body Proportions That Fit the Character Concept
- Understand the proportions appropriate for Deformer
- Find out the most commonly used body types
- Understand frequently used bones and muscles
- Exercise: Apply Deformer that suits the character
4. Understand Movement Through Human Anatomy Simplification
- Use body simplification to practice movement
- Try applying movement to various angles
5. Draw the Essence of a Character, Their Face
- Draw a head shape that matches the character
- Draw faces and expressions that match the character's concept
6. Draw Hair and Clothes that Match Your Character’s Personality and Tone
- Practice how to manage hair: Dividing large parts and irregular sections
- Create natural hair according to wind flow
- Understand changes in hairstyle according to the character's tone or personality
- Practice pleating clothes according to the flow of the body
- Try various clothes on your character
- Exercise: Applying hair and clothes that match the tone
Human Body Drawing: Torso Drawing and Human Body Description
- Reason for torso drawing
- Practice drawing the human torso
- Additional explanations of the face, pleated clothes, and a story on how to approach the human body
Section 03. Produce a Design That Matches the Tone of a Character
7. Additional Practice: Applying Theory
- Dealing with the character's gaze
- Placing multiple characters
- Linking three-dimensional objects
- Placing the character in a simple space
8. Understand How Silhouette Influences a Character’s Image
- Find out the difference between images according to silhouette
- A silhouette often used for cute characters
- A silhouette often used for serene characters
- A silhouette often used for bold characters
9. Develop Designs by Giving Characters a Story
- Reasons for making up a story for your character
- Develop a design using your character's story
10. Color Theory: Colors That Elicits the Character’s Tone
- Understand how to create color and atmosphere by understanding light
- Exercise: Create character costumes according to lighting characteristics
Section 04. Creating a Background Illustration Using Light
11. Illustrations With Backgrounds: Composing Thumbnails
- Importance of thumbnail sketches
- Practice exercise: Review screen configuration for thumbnail composition
Screen Composition: The Core of Screen Composition & Gaze
- Compose character thumbnails following the direction of their gaze
- Configure the screen to fit the character's concept
- Overlapping multiple characters for a composition
12. Illustrations With Backgrounds: Rough Color
- What to look out for when using rough color
- Work with lighting to fit the atmosphere
- Practice exercise: Theory Review
13. Coloring for Cute/Serene Illustrations
- Learn about color combinations often used in cute illustrations
- Learn about color combinations often used in calm illustrations
14. Coloring Colorful/Bold Illustrations
- Learn about color combinations often used in colorful/bold illustrations
- Learn about color combinations often used in other illustrations
15. Adjust the Density to Complete the Picture
- Use border colors to enhance the level of perfection
- Tips for adjusting the density of the depiction
- Make corrections to complete the picture
Section 05. Portrait Illustration Focusing on Design and Composition
16. Portrait Illustration: Thumbnail Composition
- Compose a portrait illustration using the original character drawing
- Practice exercise: Review how to compose a portrait illustration
17. Learn About Common Cute/Calm Compositions
- Learn about the composition frequently used in cute character illustration
- Learn about the composition often used in calm character illustrations
18. Learn About Common Fancy/Aggressive Compositions
- Learn about composition often used in fancy/aggressive illustrations
- Learn about composition frequently used in other illustrations
19. Use Color to Enhance Density
- Use border colors to enhance the level of perfection
- Tips to correct the density of a depiction
- How to make corrections for a more solid picture
Section 06. Outro: Effective Practice
20. Recommended Practice
- For those who want to be good at drawing
- Future direction
* Details of the curriculum may change before or after the video is released.
with Illustrator Chyan
What Makes This Class Special?
Rather than theoretical approach that covers what the human body is or what light is, we focus on directing content such as character gaze, design, silhouette, and appropriate lighting that emphasizes a character's charm. During this class, students will be able to draw the images they've wanted to create, but has been stuck in their head for a while.
Who Should Take This Class?
For those who already know theory but are having difficulty applying it in practice, those who stumble during the detail stages even when their images look good in the early stages, and those who try to create different tones for different drawings but always end up with the same vibe, I think my class will help solve those problems.
What Are Your Strengths?
I plan to help students who are unable to express all their drawing skills. To this end, students will learn a variety of ways to create amazing drawings with the skills they already have, and we prepared everything for students to do a lot of actual drawing exercises and learn to provide themselves with self-feedback.
This course will use Adobe Photoshop CC.
Please purchase and install the latest versions of the programs for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
[How do refunds work?]
If you would like to request a refund because a Class did not meet your expectations, please contact us for the refund (firstname.lastname@example.org) Also, for more detailed information, please review our Refund Policy.
1. Earlybird Class
If you purchase an Earlybird Class and request a refund before the class videos are available, you are eligible to receive a complete refund or the amount paid by you through the Coloso Platform.
2. Purchasing a "Now Available" Class
Up to 14 days after purchase: If you purchase a "Now Available" class and request a refund, you may receive a complete or near-complete refund depending on refund eligibility. Please refer to the Refund Eligibility section below to see if you are eligible for a refund. Please refer to our Refund Policy for more information on the refundable amount.
3. Refund Eligibility
To submit a valid refund request and receive reimbursement for your purchase, you are required to meet each and every one of the following conditions:
(a) you must be a registered User on the Coloso Platform;
(b) you must be the User that enrolled in the Class;
(c) you must request the refund in writing to our support center within 14 days of purchase, and you must provide us the requested information, including but not limited to the information about your Account, Class, and the circumstances of the refund request;
(d) you must have consumed less than three clips of the Class
(e) you must not have downloaded any of our class materials
4. Additional reasons for refund denial
You may not be eligible for any refund in cases where we believe there is refund abuse or fraudulent behavior, including but not limited to the following circumstances where:
(a) a user has requested multiple refunds for a single course
(b) a user has asked for excessive refunds
(c) we detected fraudulent behavior(s) from a User
(d) an account has been reported, banned, or deactivated due to a violation of our Terms.
5. We limit the number of devices that can access an account to 3 each.
Device registration occurs upon accessing a class video. If you wish to change the device you have registered to your account (i.e. you are using a new mobile device), please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to device registration can happen only once a year. (Your device is registered to your account after you sign in to the account with your device)
Questions about refund?
Please email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would like to request a refund?
Pleaes email us here: email@example.com